Approved March 2007 and revised April 2017
- The purpose of the Arabic Linguistics Society is to promote the linguistic study of the Arabic language in all its varieties by sponsoring conferences, publications and facilitating communication among scholars.
- The Society shall be registered as a non-profit organization for tax purposes.
- Membership in the Society is open to all students and scholars of Arabic Linguistics, and will be for a period of one calendar year, renewable, upon payment of the membership dues, the amount of which shall be determined by the board.
- A meeting of the Society will be held annually.
- The Society shall be governed by a Board of Directors elected by the paid membership of the year in which the election is held. If there is no currently constituted Board, then a new board will be appointed by the membership at the annual meeting, with two members to serve four year terms, and two to serve six year terms. The Board of Directors shall thereafter consist of four persons elected for a term of four years each. The terms shall be staggered so that 2 are elected every two years. If necessary to maintain the rotation, some members may occasionally be elected for a term of less than four years, as determined by the current Board of Directors. Board members may be reelected to consecutive terms. Candidates for the Board may be nominated by any member (including current members of the Board) with the final slate of candidates chosen by the current Board acting as a nominating committee. In the event there is only one nominated candidate and her/his nomination is approved by the board, the board shall declare the candidate elected, and said candidate shall assume membership on the board without running a formal election.
- The Board shall elect a chair from among themselves to facilitate communication.
- The day-to-day affairs of the Association shall be managed by an Executive Director. The Director shall be appointed by the board to a five-year term (renewable). The Executive Director will also function as an ex-officio member of the Board. The Director will be responsible for carrying out the decisions of the Board.
- Besides electronic communication, the Board shall meet annually during the annual meetings of the Society. The annual meetings will also include a business meeting to inform the membership of decisions of the Society.
- The Board will establish, and occasionally review, policies for the Society in regard to: 1) the time and place of the annual meeting; 2) the subject matter of papers solicited for the meeting; 3) the amount of membership dues and meeting fees; 4) membership categories; 5) issues relating to publications of the Society; 6) issues relating to the budget of the Society; 7) exploring additional ways to promote the study of the Arabic language (and linguistics), and to support scholars engaged in that study.